Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sushi

So I have this list. It's a list of things I've never done before, and it's pretty long.

One of the things on the list is sushi. I've never had sushi.

Before last week.

Zach decided that needed to change, and I was open to trying something new.

So we went to Wakame Bistro for their Happy Hour.

It was a cute enough place, not too busy, and we got a window booth. It was a little too dark for me, but I guess that's what you get for going to a restaurant at 9:30 pm.

BUT FIRST: THE VERY FIRST PICTURE OF THE BOTH OF US TOGETHER. THIS IS BIG, PEOPLE.


Zach got out the menu and asked me first, "is there anything that you don't want to eat?"

I replied, "Well, I don't want squid. And I don't want octopus. And I don't want eel."

So we ordered our food and this is what came (after the pre-sushi snack of edamame):

Clockwise from top left: Minnesota Roll, Tuna Roll, Crunchy Monkey Roll, and Spicy Salmon Roll. Pretty sure that stuff in the corner is ginger & wasabi.


I'll just let the pictures do the talking of what happened next. there was a lot of deep breaths and talking to myself in preparation.




The tuna roll was....bland. But that was fine for my first taste of raw fish! I kept having to tell myself that people do eat this and they don't die from it.

So I went along my merry way, eating and dipping and taking deep breaths. I really liked the Crunchy Monkey Roll, there was salmon and cream cheese and avocados in that one. That roll and the Minnesota roll both had this sweeter sauce covering them, so I asked Zach what it was.

He looked up for a second, thinking.

Laughed.

Looked at me and didn't say anything.

"It's eel sauce, ISN'T IT?" I said.

Lesson: Never let your boyfriend order for you.

1 comment:

  1. Gollum would probably really enjoy sushi! Personally, I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to eat it. What else is on your list?

    ReplyDelete